Well, a little illness can keep you modeling! I had a minor flare up of Chronic Uticaria that started this past Friday which keeps me avoiding too much sun and heat due to the steroids I have to take occasionally. The good news is I have to take it easy and therefore had a perfect opportunity to work on my N-scale Sam’s Roadhouse.
In my first picture today (below) you’ll see that I have installed both the front scribed door with it’s zig-zag like bracing, the door frame trim, and the structure’s stilts. I painted the door and stilts with Folkart acrylic ‘Coffee Latte’ I believe to have the door and stilts stand out a bit more than the MinWax staining. Oh, and before I forget, the pale green paint is acrylic Ceramcoat ‘Stonehenge Green’ in case you are wondering. I like how you can se that I left one window slightly cracked open (right).
The stilts were also treated to a 5% A/I solution before they were affixed with Elmer’s wood glue (the yellow type) to get a strong bond to the foundation. Any small beads of glue that leaked out the sides, I scraped off with the tip of my X-acto blade, and any further misfires will be hidden by the trim and additional weathering.
In the second photo (above) I’ve added a dime for scale reference. This picture was taken with a flash and it really makes a pronouncement in my opinion on some of the gaffes I will have to address. It really doesn’t look that bad to the naked eye, but seeing it here in this picture under the light of the flash makes me note immediately that the stilts need to be darkened and weathered more (they just look too new). I’ll start with an additional coat of A/I wash, then move on to grimy black and brown chalk powders.
You’ll also see the first part of trim attached to the building as well. This is one thing I really like about BlairLine models….the self sticking trim that helps cover up the seams and the tab & slot construction. There’s also a little flat black paint bleed over from my spray paint of the interior walls that is showing up just above the trim on the walls. A little additional weathering will help mute this as well.
Up next will be affixing the remainder of the trim and most likely the roof panels.