Couple of additions since last time.
The front railing has been added with white glue. It was a little tricky at first to get the posts to line up to the porch and the stairs, that is why it is important to make sure that when attaching the stairs to the elevated deck, that they are both flush and straight. Otherwise your mounting posts for the railing would be off. Be very careful, with this step too as the bottom of the posts are very fragile and can easily break off if too much pressure is applied.
Towards the right side rear, I have attached the smoke stack as well. This is a white metal cast piece that was first primed with generic gray auto primer, then painted with Testor’s solvent ‘Aluminum’ paint. Later on when I get more into the weathering stage, I’ll add some rust and soot to this properly.
The front screen door was attached slightly ajar with white glue as well. I decided to leave the door open as I will eventually add a N-scale patron from Woodland Scenics as part of this build to add some character.
Above the door, I have added the first sign which simply reads ‘Bar’. This kit comes with various signs you can choose from, but I happened to like this one the best. I will be adding many more signs to all sides of the building in the coming days.
A few things that are not pictured above, but were worked on:
1) Small roadside sign with the same ‘Bar’ signage on both sides was painted and assembled. However, the trim was painted with acrylic ‘Tuscan Red’ to help make it pop and stand out a bit more from the ‘Stonehedge Green’ used on the structure itself.
2) Two small plastic lamps that go above both above the doorway and side of building were assembled and painted. These were very tricky as the parts are so small to hold with your bare fingers. They were first primed with the same gray auto primer as mentioned earlier to give the individual pieces some ‘teeth’ that the paint will adhere to. Once the primer had cured, I cut them away from their sprues and sanded down any plastic burrs. Using tweezers and a lot of patience, I welded the lamp shade and support pieces together with Tenax 7R plastic glue. This stuff comes in a glass bottle and is toxic, so be careful. It literally melts plastic on contact, and then sets by fusing the newly melted plastic together in 10 seconds, so a steady hand is a must.
I’m in the home stretch now – just add the lamps, additional signage, then final weathering.